"In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:2, 3
Daniel fast is based on partial fast as mentioned in the Holy Bible. If one needs to enter the spiritual disciple of prayer and fasting, you should undertake Daniel fast. There are two scriptures that advice two types of Daniel fasts. The first fast is based on 2 Kings 24 and the other is based on Daniel fast.
The 2 Kings 24 fast lasts for 10 days and you can eat only vegetables, fruits and drink only water. Whereas, in Daniel fast one needs to abstain from Kings meal and it lasts for 21 days. Kings meals consists of meat, breads and wine. So one needs to abstain from all meat and wine for 21 days.
Other than the above mentioned foods, one cannot eat any artificial or processed foods, foods with chemicals, yeast and baking powder. Are you wondering what is Daniel fast and what is the basis of taking up this fast? In the Bible it is mentioned in Daniel, Chapter 1, that Daniel and some other children of Israel were held captive in Babylon. The good-looking, smart and quick learners of these captives were taken to the king's palace. Here, they were taught the Chaldean language and literature.
These young men were provided with the king's meal and wine daily. Daniel however, earned a favor and got ten days to prove that vegetables and water could make him and his companions mentally and physically healthy. It did make them look healthier on the 10th day and all the other young men were also made to eat and drink as Daniel and his companions.
Thus, this diet came to be known as Daniel fast. If you too are thinking of trying the Daniel fast, you need to first speak to your doctor about it. Daniel fast supports healthy eating and therefore will be supported by your doctor. If it is safe for you to carry out according to your doctor, then you can begin with the fast.
Things You Can Eat
It is quite confusing to understand what foods are allowed during Daniel fast and which foods are to be avoided completely. The following list will help you learn all the foods that you could include in your diet during the course of your diet.
- All types of fruits that includes fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned
- All types of vegetables that include fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned
- All whole grains that can include whole wheat, whole wheat pasta (no eggs or white flour), whole wheat tortillas, brown rice, oats, barley, millet, quinoa, grits and rice cakes
- All nuts and seeds that includes peanuts, sesame and even peanut butter
- All legumes that included canned and dried
- Natural quality oils that include olive, canola, grape seed, peanut, and sesame oils
- Water that includes pure water, distilled water
- Naturally decaffeinated tea, fruit and vegetable juices that contain no added sugar
- Other foods like tofu, soy products, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices
Things to Avoid
It is also important to note the food items that you should abstain from during Daniel fast. The food products are listed below:
- All meat and meat products
- All dairy products including milk, cheese, cream, butter, and eggs
- All sweeteners including white cane sugar & all products containing it as well as artificial sweeteners
- All leavened bread including Ezekiel bread and other bakery products
- All refined and processed food products that include artificial preservatives, artificial flavorings, food additives and chemicals
- All deep-fried foods
- Hydrogenated oils that include margarine, shortening, lard and foods high in fat
- Black Tea, coffee, tea, herbal teas
- Carbonated beverages, energy drinks, and alcohol
21 Day Daniel Fast Guidelines
Once you have decided to follow the 21 day Daniel fast instructions, you should pray. Pray over the reasons why you want to commit to the 21 day Daniel fast. You should pray when you feel hungry or are tempted to eat something you are abstained from eating during these 21 days. Remember, Daniel carried out this fast, as it was against the dietary laws. Daniel fast is not only to help you achieve physical health, but also help you gain clarity through prayers to God.
Next, clear off you cupboards, refrigerators, etc. from meat products, fish, poultry, etc. Clear off the artificial foods, processed foods like sugar products and flour. You need to abstain from 'rich food' just as Daniel abstained himself from the king's meal. You need to stock your cupboards and refrigerator with raw and whole foods like vegetables and fruits.
You can even stock high protein foods like beans, nuts and legumes. You can eat seeds like nuts, natural peanut butter, natural almond butter, sprouts, ground flax, whole grain products, etc. Get rid of all other beverages in the house and drink only water. Other than water, you can drink 100% natural fruit or vegetable juice, distilled water, spring water and filtered water.
You should even fast from distractions like television, movies, sports and social engagements, as they may tempt you from eating something that you are not supposed to during the 21 day Daniel fast. Your aim is to grow closer to God and these distractions tend to draw you away from God.
You should meditate and pray a lot in a quiet space for 10 minutes or more. You should reflect on your life, accomplishments and spiritual growth. This will help you not only accomplish your 21 day Daniel fast goal physically, but also gain mental peace and growth.
You can continue your fast religiously and do not get carried away with the temptations. You need to control yourself and overcome your weaknesses. The purpose of Daniel fast is not to control the amount of food you eat, but control the kind of food you eat.
The Daniel fast guidelines help you eat healthy and stay healthy. Just follow the 21 day Daniel fast guidelines to accomplish spirituality. Stay faithful to your decision and say no to meat and alcohol. Discuss the Daniel fast instructions with your doctor and enjoy physical and mental health, along the path of spirituality.