Some of us find the Bible difficult to comprehend and tag it as complicated. On the other hand, some of us feel we know the Bible inside out. Well, this article lists down some Bible fun facts that will challenge our knowledge of the Bible.
The Bible is a unique book, as there hasn’t been a book like this ever written before. Written over a period of 1500 years, it has been written over 40 generations by over 40 authors, from different walks of life like poets, fishermen, kings, shepherds, peasants and scholars, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
This shows how God does not call the equipped, but equips the called. Well, we all know that the Bible is the best selling book of all times, having sold about 6 million copies, in over 2000 languages and dialects, however, do we know that the Bible is the most shoplifted book in the world.
Bible Fun Facts for Kids
Old and New Testament Facts
- Did you know the word Bible comes from the Greek word Biblia, meaning; books. No wonder it’s called the Bible: it’s a collection of 66 wonderful books!
- Did you know the Bible contains 773, 693 words and 3,566,480 letters. Reading them all aloud would take a person approximately 70 hours!
- The Old Testament has 39 books, while the New Testament has 27 books, bringing the total to 66. Of the 27 books of the New Testament, the Apostle Paul wrote 14 books (more than half) of the New Testament.
- The Bible contains 1189 chapters.
- The word ‘testament’ means ‘contract’ or ‘covenant’.
- The old testament was written in Hebrew.
- The new testament was written in Greek.
First and the Last
- The first three words in the Bible are ‘in the beginning’.
- The first five books of the Bible, referred to as the Pentateuch were written by Moses.
- The last word in the Bible is ‘Amen’.
Longest and the Shortest
- The shortest book in the Bible is 3 John with just one chapter containing 14 verses and 299 words. 2 John happens to have just one chapter with 13 verses, but the total number of words are 303.
- The shortest verse in the Bible is John 11: 35, ‘Jesus wept’.
- The longest book in the Bible is Psalms.
- The longest verse is Ester 8:9 containing 90 words.
- The longest word in the Bible is Mahershalalhashbaz (Isaiah 8:1). It’s going to be a problem for those with fear of long words!
Strongest, Wisest, Oldest, Tallest
- The strongest and wisest men in the Bible are the two sons: Samson and Solomon.
- The tallest and biggest villain in the Bible is Goliath whose height was over 9 ½ feet.
- The greatest warrior in the Bible is Gideon, who defeated 1,35, 000 Midianites along with 300 men and 300 trumpets under God’s power.
- The oldest individual in the Bible was Methuselah (Genesis 5:27), who died at the age of 969!
- The oldest parable in the Bible is in Judges 9: 8-15.
Did you know
- Psalms 117, 118 and 119 are chapters with special significance in the Bible. Apparently, Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter in the Bible, Psalm 118 is the central chapter of the Bible and Psalm 119 is the longest chapter in the Bible. It’s a hat-trick for the Psalms!
- 2 John and 3 John have the same number of verses (13), however, John 3 wins the title of the shortest book due to its fewer number of words.
- Ezra 7:21 contains all the letters of the alphabet, except ‘J’ (In the New King James Version).
- There is one chapter that is repeated twice in the Bible: (Psalms 14 and Psalms 53) ‘The fool says in his heart, “there is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.’ However, they are not mirror images of each other.
- The word ‘God’ appears 3,358 times in the Bible.
- The two books, ‘Songs of Solomon’ and ‘Esther’ have no mention of God in them.
- The word “Christian” only appears thrice in the Bible.
- Did you know the first baptism in the Bible was conducted by Moses, who used ox’s blood to baptize the people.
- The sheep is the most frequently mentioned animal in the Bible.
- Did you know the only domesticated animal not mentioned in the Bible is the cat!
- The number of promises in the Bible are 1,260. How many have you found? 1,260 promises to claim! Wow!
- The phrase ‘do not be afraid’ appears 365 times in the Bible, just as the number of days in a year. This phrase is not a suggestion but a command. So as we live each day, we know God has commanded us to trust Him with all our heart and be at rest!
- The first mention of prayer in the Bible is in Genesis 4:26.
- The total number of questions in the Bible is 3294.
- God’s first question asked in the Bible is ‘Adam, Adam where are you?” And God’s question to us today is still the same. He calls out for his lost sheep. It is up to us to turn back to Him.
These Bible fun facts actually test our knowledge of the Bible. The Bible is a storehouse of hidden treasures. All you have to do is go and look for these priceless treasures embedded in it. You won’t completely comprehend how magnificent life under the sea is until you dive into it. Similarly, you need to read the Bible to understand how profound it is!